Monday, October 11, 2010

turkey day reflections



I didn't have the usual turkey dinner this year. Though, on the drive back to my place with my mother, an exhausted positive outlook and a deli chicken I thought it was just as good. The separation on the parental units is still something chipping away at me when I stop worrying about something else.

Every one's away for the weekend;the artist is up north visiting family and the starlet is spending the long weekend on the island with her kid sister. Mr Brooks returns from Peru tomorrow at some point, and the boyfriend, well it's hard to really know where he is.

Distance has a funny way of showing up when I least need it.

I have started looking around at apartments back down in the core, excited to once again start fresh. Three years in this house, and I had a lot to be thankful for. The parties, all of them. Hollywood, Studio 54, Hero's & Villains, and the Emergency Room. The various roommates with handfuls of compassion, hilarity and annoyances. All of the big family dinners, with a sense of purpose and expression. The late night bottles of wine and a joint. The moonlit adventures in the surrounding playground. All of it... all of these things. It was an era, but I am ready to slow it down, back to the fundamentals for me.

Still, I would have fancied a piece of homemade pumpkin pie.

1 comment:

Dustin Hrycun said...

I came in search of a new blog entry but I did not find one this very late night/early morning. However, I found something new on a quick reread of your turkey day reflections. I never really noticed the sincerity, even though somewhat if not largely glaring, of your cravings for the familiar yet simplistic. It touches home in many ways. I love my roommates but there was something greatly discouraging about coming home at 11pm to find not a single light on. Would it not be too much to ask of my roommates to stay up until the day is actually done(12:00:00), especially on a friday night! I guess I craved sharing my day, and I missed it by coming home at the very very very late hour, seemingly so, of 11pm on a friday. If only simplicity was something easily attained. Maybe it is, but I have yet to fully embrace it.